Thursday, March 27, 2008

Robert Mondavi 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon


*Bottle #7: Robert Mondavi Winery 2002 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
*Price: $40-60, depending... For Erin = Free!
*Running Tab: $86

Napa Valley... Ever heard of it?

I've seen my fling for the week, Robert Mondavi, looking flashing on many restaurants' charged-up reserve wine lists. He's racked up a lot of dough and has wine ratings sky-rocketing so he deserves his big head in the Valley of Wine.

So you can imagine how psyched I was when my roommate brought home this gem for me. He took it from his hotel room and accidentally bought the mini-bottle... He doesn't drink so I reaped the benefits.

The bottle is mostly on backorder and is sought-after by many aficionados. I haven't had a lot of high-roller wines and I pretty sure Robbie classifies as one of them, but this was the best cab I've ever had. 

The bouquet was incredible, I could almost taste the rich, dark berries and black currant with a bit of some coffee (straight espresso maybe?) with a punch of spice. The taste was just as fabulous, offering those exact characters with complex yet submissive but noticeable tannins. It was all-encompassing - this is love.

Robert Mondavi was seductive, powerful, knew just how to caress my tongue and linger in my mouth for minutes after my first swallow. I wanted to propose after our one-night-stand but I thought that was a little too forward. We'll settle with a high score on my lionized seventh wine blog.

Score: 9.5. (There's always something better out there...)

1 comment:

|| davidjay || said...

Next time you're in SB bring Mark up to the Freedom House and we'll have some Trivento. I'd love to know what you think of their Malbec!

Keep up the awesome blogging and drinking!
DJ