Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Kennedy Shah 2006 Auntie Meredith's Picnic Blend


*Bottle #6: Kennedy Shah 2006 Columbia Valley Auntie Meredith's Picnic Blend
*Price: $20
*Running Tab: $86

Winemaker Tom Campbell sold me on his description of his 2006 Kennedy Shah label, Auntie Meredith's Picnic Blend. He offered "diversity and quality" with a "unique blend of new world fruit" tied into "old world structure" of the wine. Plus, the little girl in me really like the colorful logo.

Well, Tom, I feel like you kind of threw me a fast one here. I wasn't quite ready for the battle of old vs. new wine to have a dual in my mouth, throat and ending in my stomach.

I'm not going to say I didn't like this white blend, just as I'd never say I don't like hot dogs. They always have this great allure to them until you've finish it and realized you've just choked down a gut bomb. 

I am going to say if you want to taste the drunk you're having, you'll have to let Auntie Meredith take a shot.

I don't know if it's my inexperience with whites but I could not only taste the alcohol but smell it on Auntie Meredith's breath. Other than the sharp distinction of booze, I found delightful pear, peach and other tropical fruit aromas and just as easily was able to find them on the palate. But that was once I was past the alcohol. She's 50% chardonnay with the definite oakiness of her body and 25% viognier which gave Meredith her sharp curves. 

She's a bit pricey for the quality of the time I spent with her but Auntie is a boutique wine from a small Washington winery so what can you expect when you buy it in-house. 

Not a wretched bottle of absinthe but Auntie Meredith's Picnic Blend is not something I can picture someone skipping along with in a wooden basket. I lost that image when she stung my nose hairs with her acidity and now I think I'm drunk. 

Score: 3.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Even though this wine sounds very unappealing, I thought this was your best blog yet! Keep up the good work!