Saturday, March 1, 2008

Hedges CMS Red

*Bottle #3: Hedges Columbia Valley 2005 CMS Red
*Price: $13
*Running Tab: $41

I swear this is my last red for a while. That's one of my things - I'm a red wine girl, I subconsciously enjoy having blue-stained teeth. It's unbelievably sexy and so is a classic red wine. I shot for a blend to be my final red for at least one week, courtesy of my local Safeway.

The Hedges Columbia Valley 2005 CMS Red (they have a white blend under the same acronym) is a cabernet sauvignon-merlot-syrah blend. I shared it with my uncle who kept referring to it as a cabernet-merlot-sauvignon blend, which was entertaining paired with his discolored teeth.

The CMS is what it is. A slightly overpriced bottle from a slightly over-glorified local winery. I've been to the stunning family estate chateau in the Red Mountain region of Yakima Valley, with its intentional Bordeaux-style architecture and hints of French reminisces. Despite being surrounded by the sheer artistry of the building, I wasn't blown away by this simple wine. Don't get me wrong, simple wines can be good - I especially like it when I can easily detect what I'm drinking. However, I was bordering on yawning here. 

The aroma of the wine is plum and  raspberry but it wasn't very significant - a disappointing nose. The wine was tannic, being the blend of fuller-bodied grapes, but held a gentle acidity. It was just enough to burn a little on the way down on the first sip, which I love. I don't know exactly what that says about the wine...

I also found a hint of cinnamon which was refreshing after so many reds with so many "big, dark fruit" flavors. The overall taste of the wine was refreshing as well but I hold to my earlier point that it's overpriced. Good and simple but far from bracing and definitely overpriced even at a discount grocery store on sale.

Score: 5.5 

No comments: