Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Barnard Griffin 2005 Fume Blanc


*Bottle #8: Barnard Griffin Columbia Valley 2005 Fume Blanc
*Price: $9
*Running Tab: $95

Today, I've opened a new book in my life. Literally... Several hours ago, I began my winemaking certification program at a community college and I dropped a dime on three teeny books with pretty pictures. Pseudo going back to school. It's fun to learn again and then I remembered why I graduated... School is hard!

So now I'm going to offer a much more knowledgeable and scholarly approach to my blog. Maybe by next month when I've learned more than flashy wine vocab and I stop swallowing the tasting wines I'm to spit out.  

With my fresh comprehension on wine, I've taken on a local big-boy, Barnard Griffin and their Fume Blanc. A little ironic background on this week's guinea pig: Fume Blanc is the brainchild of my last week's boyfriend, Robbie Mondavi. It was his way of dodging the negative rap Sauvignon Blanc held in the 70s (too sweet and lacked texture). 

Let me tell you, this is "dry Sauvignon Blanc" (BG labels that as the translation). So dry that when I did a soft smell (as in did not even swirl my glass), I coughed from the astringency. I kind of got punched in the face. After I shook off the initial sting, I was able to sense a distinct floral aroma, similar to the spring flowers that are trying to bloom here in spite of the hail storms of late. Very fresh fruits tossed with vanilla sticks. 

Flavors were crisp, just right ripe fruits - melons, passionfruit and maybe some more spring sensations like fresh cut grass. Great acidity and left my mouth watering which, today, I learned means it has high alcohol content! It was tasty and had a decent lengthed finish that stayed in my mouth. It complimented the blackened salmon and fresh salad I shared it with for dinner. The cookies I had to follow, it did not.

Score: 6.5. 

2 comments:

Raya Carlisle said...

Erin I love your blog! And now that I'm "back on the sauce" after my pregnancy hiatus I can actually try some of these. If you make it to our house during your visit I might have a very special bottle to share for this project...

Anonymous said...

Erin, Nice Blog...! I love Bernard Griffin too. I think they are a great value, and drink beautifully. I would love to trade a link with you. My blog is www.winegent.com I go by WineGent in my reviews...Cheers! Wine Gent