Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bergevin Lane Vineyards 2007 Calico White


*Bottle #29: Bergevin Lane Vineyards 2007 Walla Walla Calico White
*Price: $16
*Running Tab: $360

Girl power and all aside, I love female winemakers. As far as Washington goes, women entrepreneurs get a bit of money from the state to get started (we're still considered a minority?) and male investors might come easier (so many hurdles to be a girl, really). However, it's always a celebrated feat for a woman to be a successful businessperson and as annoying as this is, one of the reasons why I like Bergevin Lane Vineyards is because of innovative co-owners Annette Bergevin and Amber Lane. 

The main reason why I liked their Calico White blend was because of the nose. A combo that could kill - Chardonnay, Roussanne and Viognier. It's becoming very popular in Washington wines to blend Chardonnay and Viognier together, mostly to get the full-body mouthfeel of Chardonnay to mesh with the floral, acidity of Viognier and pulling the great citrus that both varietals give off. Roussane and Viognier are both varietals originating from the Rhone Valley in France and blend flawlessly together (as they should).   

The varietals' components broken down as I see it:
- Roussanne = structure and minerality
- Chardonnay = body and complexity
- Viognier = some major aromatics and acidity

All three grapes are known for their richness and fullness. These are all big, robust and proud French varietals and with their powers combined, the Calico White is lavish and easy drinking. Elaborate but not overboard, this shining golden straw colored wine gave off a citrus aroma, backed by tropical fruits (pineapple and mangoes for sure) with a slight hint of honey (but nowhere near sweet). It smelled like Hawaii would smell (I've never been...).

Faintly astringent with medium-plus acidity, the Calico White had an effortless finish that was just as citrus and pineapple packed as the bouquet. The wine was dry, crisp and medium-bodied and in the later palate hit with some bananas, which I loved. 

I FINALLY really paired one of my review wines with some food - I brought the bottle to a dinner date with my dad who prepared (all cooked to perfection) salmon, bleu cheese red potatoes, a pear and pine-nut salad with French artisan bread. I almost feel bad not paying him for his culinary expertise. 

All in all, for a $16 blend from my beloved Walla Walla Valley, the Calico White could not fail.

Score: 8.5. 

5 comments:

wine girl said...

Hey Erin!
I just checked out your post on the Calico White and love it! We need you on board to write our tasting notes :-) Your description was fabulous and I love that you shared a bottle with your dad, who by the way, sounds like a fabulous cook! Cheers, Annette

Björn said...

Damn, you're good, but minerality in the Rousanne...you must have a great terroir over there.
And astringency in white wine? Doesn't seem very attractive, does it?
Anyway, good review, thank you.

Raya Carlisle said...

That's it - I'm going to figure out how to get my hands on a few bottles of this. You could always deliver it to me on your next visit, hint hint. I'll share1

Vivvi said...

First things first, why hasn't your dad prepared anything like that for me?! Sounds great. Tell him I say HIIIII!

Now for business, you make me thirty. I want to try all these wines but especially this one. Maybe it is the she-power behind it, or your great review. Keep it up, Erin. You're rad!

WINO Magazine said...

Great review. You should consider writing for a wine publication. :)