Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Patit Creek Cellars 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon


*Bottle #28: Patit Creek Cellar 2004 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
*Price: $28
*Running Tab: $344

Shout out to my homies, Steve and Tina, for giving me this bottle of wine. My regular winos at the wine bar (which I have recently left), who live in the building and frequently listen to my crazy stories about wine, boys and my so-called life, brought me a bottle after they went wine tasting in Walla Walla Valley in central Washington. They were very excited to give me their last remaining bottle of "good wine" from their trip. Keeping in mind that Steve and Tina are from Texas and are just learning to love Washington wines (love you guys!), I thought this wine could be anywhere from okay to great.

Walla Walla Valley is the hottest thing since sliced bread in the state. The volcanic soils that comprise the ground allow for excellent drainage (which if it isn't great, it can drown the vines) and is currently thriving every varietal you can think of from Syrah to Pinot Noir. 

The town itself, within the AVA, is tiny. Patit Creek Cellars is on A Street, for example. However, I find that the smaller the town, the smaller the amount of wine being produced (yields), the better the product. But just because you're from a small town in Kansas, making small amounts of wine does not mean your wine is good, fyi.

Deep, rich and purple in color, the Patit Creek Cab gave off the look of a Syrah. I love that part of Syrah. The nose came off as a bit earthy and musty, a gamey note with black currants, blackberries and maybe some other dark stoned fruits (like plums?).

None of which are bad olfactory features but I found the wine tasting much better than the aroma it gave off. After a while, it gave me a really strange bright, red lipstick smell and I couldn't stop picturing Dolly Parton.

On the palate, this Cab was a bargain for the smell. Smooth and well-balanced, cherries began to come through with the dark fruits (more plum!) as well as a black tea flavor. Rounded tannins kept the wine lingering just enough on the finish to want another taste. The wine grew and opened up very nicely after hanging out in my glass for awhile too. 

I was very impressed with Steve and Tina and their selection for me. And of course, appreciative of the free wine. When it's free, it's hard to find things you don't like.

Score: 7.

2 comments:

Björn said...

Amazing review, thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Erin - Bill from TLV here. The other wine blog I was telling you about is http://wawinereport.blogspot.com/