Thursday, September 4, 2008

Carhartt 2006 Pinot Noir


*Bottle #30: Carhartt 2006 Rancho Santa Rosa Pinot Noir
*Price: $30
*Running Tab: $390

While we were down touring Santa Barbara County, somewhat mimicking the "Sideways" wine trail, we ended up in Los Olivos - the teeny tiny town (kind of looked like a street more than anything) that is home to the world's smallest tasting room.

The room is advertised as just "one block north of the Flagpole" (because there is only one) and appeared to be a well-kept shack. Mike Carhartt, a man of no relation to the hunting apparel line, was sitting behind his tasting bar and that alone took up 1/3 of the room. It was small. Rocking out to Guns N'Roses - which he claimed belonged to his son - Mike poured multiple wines that struck me as unique to not only the terrior and my own palate but I think the influence of the farmer-turned-vintner's love for his craft made an impact as well. 

Carhartt (the farmer) and his wife, Brooke (the chemist), threw together this dream and now have their tasting studio and the only vineyard in Los Olivos, with estate grown Merlot and Syrah. So of course, I left with Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir...

The couple sourced their grapes for the Pinot from the nearby Santa Rita Hills which is growing in its abundance of plush Pinot Noir grapes so Mike and I came to the conclusion this was a good buy. 

Ruby red, almost pretty in pink, the Pinot from the Rancho Santa Rosa Vineyard gave off a musty, earthy/borderline gamey aroma full of red currants, vanilla and bright red berries (probably strawberries). A little bit of that typical cherry for the grape and some subtle pepper notes stuck out alongside the initial scents. 

The weight of the wine was fairly light once I decided to toss back the glass, full of those red berries and bright fruits with mild acidity and the perfect amount of warmth as it went down. 

Ideally, I wish I would have given this wine a little more bottle time. I think it was too early to showcase its bests but showed great potential to age to a more elegant complexity and gain some structure/backbone. It was drinkable now and I really like what it had to offer but I'd give it at least another year or so in the cellar. Too bad I only bought one bottle...

Score: 7. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I typically pair the boldness and badass-ness of Guns and Roses to more similar to the domestic beer family, I must say I was delightfully surprised with the fruity freshness of the Carhartt Pinot Noir accompanied by the classic vocals of Axl Rose.