Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Roots 2006 Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir

*Bottle #14: Roots 2006 Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir
*Price: $26
*Running Tab: $193

Author Rex Pickett speaks of his beloved Pinot Noir as if it's his fussy, pre-menopausal ol' ball-and-chain of so many odd years - it's "temperamental" and "needs constant care and attention." But you know he loves it/her because "only the most patient and nurturing" will "really take the time to understand [its] potential then coax it into its fullest expression." 

Now that is commitment.

And Art smart, the man knows his words. And his Pinot. The grape is hard to grow and highly prone to diseases, doesn't handle harsh adjustments in the winery well and needs a cooler climate to thrive. But let me tell you, get a winemaker who really knows his Pinot and you'll feel like Pickett and his wife. I mean... Wine. Pure devotion.

For me, I was planted, grown, ripened and am now continuing to age in Washington State. That being said, I don't really know squat about Pinot Noir that I haven't heard in a book. I have learned to be thankful for Oregon's Willamette Valley, whose maritime and breezy coastal shores give just enough chill to keep Pinot Noir from breaking a sweat and making a beautiful wine. 

I slipped into a wine shop down by the beloved Pike's Place Market to be greeted but an incredibly knowledgeable (and none bit the pretentious) cellar rat who suggested I go with the 2006 Roots Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir. I had heard of Roots before, tried their Cab and wasn't a fan. I then was taught Oregonians should not grow Cabernet Sauvignon, as Washingtonians should not grow Pinot. Huh.

This wine had the coloring I was expecting from a Pinot - medium ruby, almost a little mauve, maybe garnet. It looked as earthy as it smelt - a nice soil presence with some rhubarb and it seemed a little herbaceous at first but after it opened up, I found almost a maple syrup aroma coming from the glass. Which was great because I love pancakes.

I was surprised to find Roots to have medium tannins (fuzzied my teeth up a bit) with lots of heat and acidity. I found out last week the higher tannins in Pinot is due to the grape being picked riper and was probably done with whole cluster de-stemming (see Wineology 101) to give it the astringency of acid. Them be wine-ing words. 

Also on my palate, the wine was silky smooth with dark fruits and a little bit of that maple. Very elegant and pronounced with a lasting finish which made it easy to finish the bottle. Since it's still a young wine, this Pinot will only get better with age. 

Just so you know, you can not buy a cheap Pinot. So after paying $26 for the 2006 Roots, I was happy with the price and more than happy with the wine. 

I feel like I should have saved this Roots 2006 Pinot Noir for a special occasion. Does Monday count?

Score: 8.5

2 comments:

Amy Roach said...

Hey Erin!
I have been reading your blog for the last few weeks and keep meaning to comment. Love your blog! You are a GREAT writer....and I'm learning so much about wine!
Looking forward to hanging this weekend!
Keep up the bottle a week...LOVE it.
Love, Amy Roachy-Pants

Vivvi said...

GREAT STORY! Monday is always a special occasion. I'm really looking forward to getting back to the States (someday) and sharing some Hungarian wine with you. You'll die. Its delicious!