Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Punters Corner Coonawarra 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon


*Bottle #15: Punters Corner Coonawarra 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon
*Price: Free for Erin ($25 AUD)
*Running Tab: $193

Over the next few weeks, I plan on traveling all over the earth, sweeping its soils in search of everything its vines can offer. I plan on accomplishing this feat under a $15/week budget, from my couch and through the Internet and all her glory. 

In other words, I'm geeking out on wines of the world purchasable at grocery stores near you and am prompting you to get cultured with me. 

After careful consideration, research and lack of a finances, I have chosen a variety of wines from the places I wish to visit throughout this erratic and volatile planet. 

Dream Trip #1: Australia is a repeat for me - I swear, I really have been there. Known for the Shiraz, Australia also produces a killer cab, primarily from the Coonawarra region of South Kangaroo Land. This region translates to "honey suckle" and is one of the most famous terroirs (aka wine region) in the New World (aka not France). 

Unfortunately my visit down under was not for a wine tour and I missed this area but the Boyfriend came through with this great buy. I know it's a bit more than $15 but since I didn't buy it, it still counts!

2003 was the second year in a row with low Cabernet Sauvignon yields in Coonawarra, which typically means a better quality of the grapes and ultimately a better quality wine. As far as Punters Corner goes, this was definitely one of the better Cabs I've had.

A beautiful deep ruby wine sat in my glass just long enough to let a little aeration take place and allow this Cab to reveal its blackcurrants, barrels full of vanilla and oak with an awesome dirty, old man leather smell. In a good way. Think... Sean Connery. 

This multifaceted, complex wine was just as stunning on the palate. 

The Coonawarra Cab is big, bold and tannic as all hell to make sure you know its there. A nice spread of earth, spice, blackberries and warm raspberries floods over your tongue and hold on tight with a long, lasting finish. The wine spent 14 months in new and old French, Russian and American oak barrels which gave it plenty of gritty wood tannins as well as the powerful tannic bite stripped from the grapes' skins themselves. 

Smoky, smooth and sexy, this wine has a chewy texture, somewhat reminiscent of those fruit leather snacks circa 1991. 

Not much was stripped from this full-bodied beauty but be prepared for some abrasive tannins. Just like Sean Connery who also was good in 1991 and 2003. 

Score: 8.5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the reference to Sean Connery!!!!

Anonymous said...

Does Sean Connery like baby back ribs?