Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2006 Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Viognier


*Bottle #53: 2006 Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Viognier
*Price Tag:
22
*Running Tab: $639

Being the new year - my new year of the blog, not the Chinese - I have decided to take a no-holds-barred approach. No, I will not be posting topless photos, you won't find me making out with all of those Seattle celebrities at the club and I won't be shaving my head any time soon (RIP Crazy Britney).

I'm talking a new blog me. First step: honor my virtues. In the case of this review, I have to be upfront, honest and admit that I am a former staff-member of the Novelty Hill-Januik Wineries.

That being said, I did not work the harvest or aid in any of the production processes of the 2006 vintage and I am no longer a tasting room employee. So I was worthless!

The point: I no longer harbor any bias for their wine other than my own opinion.

And in the grand scheme of this blog, that's the only thing that matters and you remember that!

I do like to tell Mike Januik's story, winemaker for Novelty Hill and Januik wineries. Because I am a fan. Me and everyone else in the greater Seattle area.

A straight descendent of Chateau Ste. Michelle, he left his 10-year position as head winemaker at Washington state's greatest beverage monopoly to embark on a solo mission. Having 15 years as a winemaker in the bag, Januik already had a cult following and took a chunk of Ste. Michelle change with him.

For having an excessive, concrete and steal-constructed winery compound reminiscent of the downtown Seattle REI complex (cough same contractor cough), Mike Januik the man is miles away from extravagant. Mustache-clad and smile-resistant, the man's public commentary is far and few between. He has one set head shot he uses instead of unique photo shoots for each of the articles written on him and quotes from him are often a few years old. Behind the safe bomb-shelter-esque walls of his winery's production facility, Januik is notorious for his quick wit, his sincere humility and horrible shockjock one-liner jokes.

Mike heads up both operations as well as helps to run NH's estate vineyard, Stillwater Creek.

Now who's been paying attention? Aw yes, Stillwater Creek - one of Washington's most highly sourced vineyards. But you remembered that.

Mike's 2006 Viognier is quintessential for the varietal and the man.

A light, straw yellow pigment shines translucently through the case with aromatically stimulating bright fruit of citrus and nectarine crossed with flowers. Barrel-fermented in 100% French oak, this classically trained winemaker brings out the butter in the 100% Rhone variety.

The most interesting aroma, which completely profiles the Stillwater Creek Vineyard and the Rhone Valley, is the minerality in the wine. The soils are high in basalt from when Mt. St. Helens blew in the early 80s. That lava rock salt really does it for me.

The palate packs a punch of refreshing acidity with a full-body of big green apple (but not sour) and that same lemon-lime citrus from the nose (but not like a 7-Up). That grainy minerality courtesy of St. Helens. comes through in the finish.

Wine Enthusiast seemed to like it too: "...it's just got that indefinable mix of flower, perfume, citrus and stone fruit that typifies the finest Washington Viogniers..." 93 points later...

Not a bad thing to say about Mike Januik's small-scale 196-cased wine.

I'm typically more of a stainless steal or concrete white wines person, but this is oaked Viognier is easily one of my favorite of this varietal from Washington. I know those people over at Enthusiast have something called "credentials" that give their stance some more status but you should probably take my word for it.

Score: 9.

No comments: