Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Trullari 2006 Primitivo del Tarantino


*Bottle #20: Trullari 2006 Primitivo del Tarantino IGT
*Price: $10
*Running Tab: $260

Not more than a year past, in a far, far away land known as "Australia," a young, wine-green woman stumbled across an Italian restaurant boasting a quote that caught her eye.

"Amici e vini sono meglio vecchio," the cobalt blue fonted sign read out of her. After inquiring the translation to the thickly Italian cadenced man behind the front desk, she found the meaning to be quite prolific.

"Old friends and old wine are best."

Even though only several months hath past since that date, the young woman still holds dear to the Italian proverb, her love of Italian men and wine, and first and foremost, her oldest of friends.

Surprise! She's me!!!

The truth in those words of wisdom - as most things go - are circumstantial. I've found that my oldest friends have turned out to be quite great ones, even though some have faded with time and some wines are truly given a peak that shouldn't be passed if you plan on drinking them.

Italian mottos and Italian wines, however, should still be highly esteemed and frequently drunk.

Speaking of frequently drunk, I'm still Fantasy Trippin' it in Italy and tested out the Trullari Primitivo del Tarantino. Fancy words, yes. Trullari, the producer, in the region of Puglia of the Tarantino appellation, is home to the Primitivo grape (which is Zinfindel's identical twin, genetically), which flourishes in the limestone soaked soils of this area.

The wine is mostly Primitivo, that gets by with a little help from its friend Montepulciano, and stays true to its rustic, old-world origin in Italy.

The nose stood out with bright, red and ripe fruits. Cherries galore - almost in a Dimetapp fashion (I've never been a fan of the cough syrup) - with a mineral hint to it (must be the limestone) and a metallic aroma that hails from the wine's steel aging. 

The same fruitiness comes across on the palate, bordering on sweetness (red wines are not sweet, just fruity!). It was light but held complexity from the sleek tannins, heaps of fruit and gentle acidity. I found it to be quite the opposite of the full-bodied, spicy Zinfindels that I've witnessed from California. 

I think what killed this wine for me was that I could taste the alcohol more than feel it. I've gone on and on in previously posts about how I love the heat (alcohol) of the wine as it goes down the back of my throat. This case was different - I could taste the alcohol and not feel the heat. If I wanted to taste my drunk, I'd throw back some tequila. 

It could be that this guy was probably bottled roughly two years ago, and that's why I'm wanting to drink old wine instead and keep those old friends as well.

Score: 3.5. 

No comments: