Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pieropan 2006 Soave Classico White Wine


*Bottle #19: Pieropan 2006 Soave Classico White Wine
*Price: $12
*Running Tab: $250 (Free for me - got the hook up)

My future husband is Italian soccer star, Luca Toni - he most likely doesn't know it yet - but I'm the best thing that hasn't ever happened to him. In light of our love that he is unaware of, I've decided to Dream Trip it to Italy. I guess the Italian national team is doing okay in the Euro Cup also... 

That means soccer, Dad.

Thankfully, my latest work endeavor offers several Italian choices, from the wine to the cured meats we serve, all for decent prices, considering the shipping/gas costs we have to deal with for international sales these days. 

I landed the Pieropan 2006 Soave Classico, a nice $12 white table that is 90% Garganega and 10% Trebbiano. Italian what? Yeah, grapes, I guess.

The Pieropan producers are considered to be one of the best producers of these varietals in Italy, from their hometown of Soave, located in north-central Italy in the Soave Classico Appellation. SO much easier than the French! No wonder the Italian team beat France on Tuesday...

A typical blend together, these two grapes make up the Soave wine, stylized with elegance, citrus fruit and nut, savory but light on the palate.

I couldn't disagree. The golden straw liquid sat in my glass and shined brilliantly back at me. The nose set off a medium level acidity, a noticeable SO2 note (not in a bad way, just in a safely unoxidized way), extreme freshness and some zing to it. 

"Zing:" [noun] energy, enthusiasm or liveliness. 

Honey, honey, honey. Not just what my college boyfriend would say to drive me insane, but also the most prominent fragrance from the bulb of the glass. A summer-welcoming cantaloupe, pear and rainwater were standing firmly behind the honey as well. 

Just as I thought, on the mouth, there was pear and honey along with other citrus and tropical flavors. Plenty of acidity but more on the noise than the palate. There was some hint of white tea, like the kind of Starbucks... The Pieropan Soave was fresh and light yet complex with a wonderful finish. 

I'm not crazy enough about white wines to say this one put me threw the roof, but I did really like it. I like my Italian boyfriend better though. 

Score: 8. 

No comments: