Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chelan Estate 2004 Reserve Red Wine


*Bottle #42: Chelan Estate 2004 Reserve Red Wine Stillwater Creek Vineyard
*Price: $30
*Running Tab: $512 (Free for me, again...)

I complain a lot. I'm aware of that. But I do have some signature pet peeves that I fuss over more than most things. For those who know me, I swear this becomes endearing after many years of tuning me out...

A classic no-nonsense vex of mine is bad business Web pages. If you have enough money to run a sufficient business and launch a Web site, you should have the sense or means to find someone with the sense to create a page that looks decent. I have a very difficult time taking businesses serious whom own poorly designed sites. I know this is faintly over-scrupulous, but come on! How hard?!

Case and point: this week's winery. Raved and acclaimed to be one of the best wineries in the Lake Chelan Valley (which is inches away from becoming an appellation in the state of Washington), the Chelan Estate Winery has their Web site on the City of Commerce page. Come on!

The Stillwater Creek Vineyard 2004 Reserve Red Wine from Chelan Estate is a perfect example as to why the winery should better portray itself. A classic blend of the five Bordeaux varietals that is completely taken advantage of under false pretenses of crappy marketing. 

Everybody and their mother sources fruit from Stillwater Creek Vineyard in Washington - it's a model representation of the state's terrior, high in basalt (bless that Mount St. Helens) and sloping at one of the steepest sites in the greater Columbia Valley. Why wouldn't Chelan Estate do a red wine blend of the varietals that grow the strongest in the state at one of its most successful vineyards? That being said, everybody and their mom produces this five-graped booze juice. 

But what distinguishes the Chelan Estate version? The Web site would never tell you... So I f'ing will. The free wine I should be getting for my duties...

The winery, owned by two married couples who decided to go into business over love of wine, is tucked just behind the rocky shores of Lake Chelan and claims its fame from a Chardonnay-Viognier blend as well as a Pinot Noir. I think this Reserve Red Wine is probably the safest bet considering I have the firm belief vintners should stop trying to grow Pinot out here...

This is a patience wine. One that you can't just dive your nose into, it's going to take some time for these waters to warm up and jumping in prematurely will cause shrinkage. :) 

Once the aromas release, dark, subtle fruits come out with some cherry in the back after a deep inhale of the juice. Definite oak is present but more than anything, it smells like cream soda. It's the cola/vanilla/soda pop combo that also gives off a licorice/anise quality. 

Sweet on the nose but soft and dry on the palate. More acids than tannins - think tip of the tongue rather than sides of the tongue dehydration.  More fruit than those cool spices found on the nose. But it was not a disappointment - this reserve wine drinks a bit more like a table wine, as far as the label hierarchy goes, but drinks nicely. 

After my lecture on how to run your business efficiently because I totally have the qualifications... I hope we have all learned something here today: Never listen to Erin.

Score: 5.5.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

where should Pinot be grown in washington?

Erin said...

In my opinion... Nowhere. That's what I was saying - Pinot Noir grapes shouldn't be grown in Washington. We don't have the right climate for it, it's either too wet or too hot. That doesn't stop people from doing it though and more power to them if they prove me wrong. However, I haven't had a Washington state Pinot that I have liked.

Anonymous said...

Interested if you've tried Challenger Ridge's Pinot?

Erin said...

I haven't but I am familiar with the label. At $18 though, it's worth a try. I appreciate the recommendation!

Unknown said...

II found this blog through "Must Love Wine" : I've seen so many bad web pages for wineries... Now I'm faced with doing one of my own, and haven't a clue on where to begin. So, I'm beginning to see where they're coming from. Have a look at my page holder; I'm interested in a public comment from the perspective of someone I don't know. www.lacoye.com

RedMtnMan