Wednesday, October 29, 2008

2007 Viu Manet Malbec Reserva


*Bottle #38: 2007 Viu Manet Colchagua Malbec Reserva
*Price: $10
*Running Tab: $488

My days off consist of me wine shop shopping. Whether or not I actually buy anything depends on how far in the distant future a paycheck is from me. In this case, the paycheck comes before I need to pay off my credit card so it's a win-win-win. 1 for me, 1 for the shops and 1 for the wine.

It's like going to a pet shop - those little bottles starring up at me with their flawless labels and shiny foils, dusted perfectly with a little bit of age so you know they're bottle-trained and ready to go home with a thirsty and adoring owner.

My pocketbook was relinquished of its duties this day on four different bottles (only spent around $90...) but this particular purchase stood out to me. When I bought the wine after it was recommended to me by a renowned Seattle area wine shop, I was told this pig was ready to go. I questioned this notion, politely as I'm sure this wine steward knew a bit more than myself, because the Viu Manet Reserva Malbec was only a 2007. I thought it was too young to drink before the wine even hit my lips.

Chilean producer Viu Manet (say it like it's spelled) makes this wine, at 100% Malbec, in both stainless steel tanks (for the fermentation process) and in barrels for 10 months (92% French, 8% American oak). Which for the amount of oak you pull from both the nose and palate, you'd assume it spent more time in the barrels than that.

Background check on Chilean wine: Grapes came from Bordeaux, France to Spain to Chile in the early 1800's. The lovely wingless wonder bug, Phylloxera, spread like wild fire in the European and North American vineyards, killing off many quality vines and potential land. Chile is situated between the Andes and the Pacific so that the nation's vineyards were perched in a fashion that even this deadly louse couldn't kill off their vines.

A powerhouse and lucky SOBs, Chilean vines are some of the oldest around exuding robust and flavorsome wines and a spirited toast: "Salud, amor y dinero, y tiempo para gustarlos!" (Health, love and money, and time to enjoy them!)

And enjoy, from a different perspective, I did.

I've been getting a pie-crust aroma from wines lately - maybe it's something I've been eating or is stuck up my nose but it's definitely there again in this Chilean Malbec. This time it's boysenberry pie, very muted however and backed by a vegetal touch - I'm thinking broccoli. The oak stands out very obviously in the first sniff but really comes out in a little time. A dark stoned fruit aroma was there as well but it was more the pit than anything. As if the fleshy fruit has been sucked off and all that is left is the pit to gnaw on.

Speaking of gnawing, both the tannins and a leathery flavor are really chewing on you in this 2007 Malbec. Showing great potential to tame down in the mouth-drying department, this wine's leather note is affable and the fruit pushes out a little bit of juice for this typically spiced varietal. The oak comes out after awhile and shows in the finish with parching tannins that have you questioning if your tongue ever was wet to begin with.

This $10 bottle will be a steal in two years, even better in five. It's a beautifully stunning and forbidden Lolita wine. A pervert's wine. That made me laugh.

Right now, the Viu Manet 2007 Malbec is just not ready to come out and play which makes Erin a sad girl.

Score: 7.5. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a stunning analysis. you truly are a special talent
and you're cute. what a catch you are

Björn said...

right on, truly stunning! wouldn't know about the physical stuff but yeah, the analysis is truly great!

Unknown said...

You're lucky you work for such a great winery and to have such a fine mentor to tutor you on the finer points of chilean malbec.