Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Las Rocas 2005 Garnacha

*Bottle #22: Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha 2005
*Price: $11
*Running Tab: $288

Plain and simple, I just like to say this wine. I feel very Antonio Banderas-esque. Too sexy and too easy to impersonate. 

As far as being effortless goes,"easy drinking" is an understatement with this wine. Grenache is typically smooth, high in alcohol content and full of ripe fruit. So no way, Jose, am I spitting this stuff out! 

There it is, sitting pretty in my huge, designated tasting glass (photo to come soon!), just taunting me with its deep, garnet color that gives promise of a better evening (it had been a long day). Spicey and Spanish, just like Antonio. 

Grenache, or Spanish Garnacha (Syrah - Shiraz, Pinot Gris - Grigio, tomato - tomawto), is arguably the most commonly planted red wine grape varietal in the world. Hot and dry conditions nurse this baby into its true self so Spain and southern France are comfortable regions for Grenache to grow in. Second to Tempranillo, Grenache-based wines are as Spanish as the "Running of the Bulls." 

What I found odd as I gazed at the red juice in my glass was the physical bubbles going on in the wine. I don't know if that could be from a little oxidation or possible carbonation or some other bottling error - it didn't seem to effect the flavor of the wine, however. The nose still stood true with pepper, black currant and raspberries, to the brim with characteristic spice. With 14.5% alcohol, you could smell the heat bulging out but it wasn't singeing my nose hairs like Everclear. A nice hazelnut pushed through at the end and maybe some brandy. Dirty old man brandy, minus the ice in the glass and the Cuban cigar.

Once in my mouth, I was stuffed with fruit and an equally forceful of an amount of alcohol defending what I smelt earlier. Despite that description, Las Rocas was smooth, simple and easy. So easy that it went down so fast and with that much alcohol, sobriety issues may or may not follow.

Fruit, booze and bad Antonio Banderas accents, how wrong can you go for $11!

Score: 8. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just had a bottle of this on Sunday. It's one of my favs. Got it for 10 bucks here in PHX!